The teachings of rapture has been abused, misunderstood and misinterpreted. It has been used to harass and intimidate believers and all who cares to read or listen. The message of rapture was to be used to encourage and inspire not to threaten and discourage as we have it today. Look at what Paul, the Apostle said:
14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. 15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words. 1 Thess. 4:14-18 (NKJV).
The Apostle was teaching Eschatology and life after death here. He said we should comfort and encourage one another with the teachings of eschatology and rapture not threaten ourselves with sin, death, hell, tribulations and all those other stuff. It suppose to be encouraging and inspiring not scary, fearsome and daunting.
We have wrongly understood and taught the subject of rapture that it has left the Church with an escapist mindset. Believers are told every now and then that rapture could just happen now and they must prepare for it. Ministers of the Gospel are encouraged to preach sin and hell constantly and fearsomely to prepare their people for heaven and keep them conscious of the reality of heaven and hell. And those who don’t do this are targeted and tagged false prophets and teachers.
These has made many weaklings and useless here on earth and to the kingdom vision. To them all that is important is try your best by all means to be and stay rapturable.
Why God Wants Us Here
- God’s intention for every believer is that we subdue the earth, rule the earth and dominate the earth. Not to relegate our responsibility to the devil and allow him cut the shots on earth. It’s irresponsibility to let satan rule while we are struggling to make heaven.
- We are told to occupy till our master comes, not to isolate ourselves and wish and sing the rapture down. We are to be busy expanding and building the kingdom, taking over territories and dethroning religion and satanism all over the world. We to be over taking and taking over not living at the mercy of government policies and satanic onslaught. This is how to prepare or prepare believers for rapture. It’s not by terrorising people with a largely misunderstood teachings of rapture. We were told to occupy TILL he comes not be occupied till he comes. The earth is the Lord’s and it fullness thereof (Psm.24:1; 1Cor.4:26). We must not give satan an inch.
- We were created for good works (Eph. 2:10) and admonished to abound in the work of the Lord (1Cor. 15:58). Let’s go back to the field and get busy for the kingdom. Let’s get busy fulfilling our callings not waiting for a rapture.
- Paul said he was living to apprehend that which he was apprehended of Christ Jesus – (Phil. 3:12). He was living to attain and experience all that Christ bought for him on Calvary. This was his way of preparing for a rapture.
- See what Paul told Timothy, his son in the faith:
2 Timothy 4:5-7 (KJV)
5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.
6 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
The goal is for us to fight the good fight and finish our course not to be looking for an escape route out of planet earth.
- We are to bring the kingdom here on earth. Replicate heaven in all the length and breadth of the planet earth.
- See how Ephesians 4:11-13 (KJV) puts it so well:
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
From the above scriptures, the Holy Spirit is saying the 5 fold ministry is to equip the saints (all believers) and they are to in turn do the work of ministry. So the work of ministry actually is for Christians. The 5 fold ministers are to train, perfect,mature, furnish and equip the saints to do the work of ministry not to escape to heaven.
We Need a Rupture
We are not called to prepare people for rapture, we are called to prepare people for ministry – their callings, visions, purpose and assignment. The Church is training ground for ministry not rapture.
And the goal is for us to propagate the kingdom and as we are doing that this will happen: vs 13 –
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
So it means what really get us to that place some folks want to get us to by preaching fear, unbelief and hell is doing the work of ministry not trying to attain some imagined state of holiness and heaven-worhy-ness.
God wants us here on earth to deputise for him until he comes. If you’re tired of being here you can simply ask him to take you home like Elijah.
God wants us here as heavens ambassadors. We are here not in our interest but our home country. We are here to represent, protect, propagate and defend our home country’s interest.
Heaven wants us here to restrain evil (2Thes.2:7). God’s ultimate goal is not to take us all to heaven but to colonize the earth. That’s why it is written, let thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. The Church is the light of the world, we must keep shining.
We are still here to win more souls. Some folks are hurrying to heaven because they don’t care about the spiritual and eternal welfare of the many unbelievers out there. Christians get bored because all they do is wait for rapture when souls are out there perishing.
It’s a lack of love that will make someone wish for rapture. There are so many out there who needs Jesus. Are you saying you don’t care about their fate?
God’s final judgement statement is, “well done good and faithful servant” not “well waited”, lets get to work and stop endlessly waiting. The harvest is due and labourers are few. We are not”waiters” we are “workers”.
Stand up and serve your generation. Contribute your quota to the world. Go and add value to lives and communities. Go and make the world better than you met it. Go and manifest your ‘saltiness and lightness to this desperately dying world. God is waiting on you, stop waiting on him.
We are saved to serve (Matt. 8:14-15). The primary reason for salvation is not heaven but ministry. You were born again to do something not to hurry and go somewhere.
The escapist teachings and preachings have succeeded in making so many Christians preoccupied with escaping the earth when heaven needs us more here. Instead of occupying the earth many are relegating territories to the devil.
What we need now is a rupture; a breaking forth into the world and taking it for our kingdom, a bursting forth with the power from heaven to take over sectors and nations for Jesus, a shaking, an awakening from slumber not rapture.