Who is a Christian? Is he just a church goer? Is he the one with the so call ‘christian name’? Is he the guy with a long do’s and don’ts list? A Christian is not one who keeps to a strict religious rules and codes. After all Christianity is not a code of conduct. A Christian is one by nature, the nature of Christ imputed in us through the new birth. Below you’ll find who a Christian really is.
- He is born of God, not of blood, nor the will of the flesh, nor the will of man, but of God (Jn.1:13).
- He is redeemed (Rom.3:24;Col.1:14;1Pet.1:18).
- He is foreknown (Acts 2:23;Rom.8:29;1Pet.1:2).
- He is elected (Rom.8:33;Col.3:12;1Thes.1:4;Titus 1:1;1Pet.1:2) by grace.
- He is predestined (Rom.8:29-30;Eph.1:11-12).
- He is chosen (Mt.22:14;1Pet.2:4). He didn’t choose himself.
- He is called (1Thes.5:24).
- He is justified (Rom.4:24-25; 5:1: Acts 13:38-39).
- He is reconciled: by God (2Cor.5:18-19;Col.1:20) and to God (Rom.5:10; 2Cor.5:20;Eph.2:14-17).
- He is not condemned (Jn.3:18;5:24;Rom.8:1) and cannot be condemned.
- All his sins – past, present and future have been judged on Christ (Rom.4:25;Eph.1:7;1Pet.2:24).
- He has received propitiation of all his sins (Rom.8:3:25-26;1Jn.2:2;4:10).
- He is dead to the old life and fully alive to God:
a- Crucified with Christ (Rom.6:6;Gal.6:20).
b- Dead with Christ (Rom.6:8;Col.3:3;1Pet.2:24).
c- Buried with Christ (Rom.6:4;Col.2:12).
d- Raised with Christ (Rom.6:4;Col.3:1).
- He is free from the law: Dead to the law (Rom.7:4) and forever delivered from it (Rom.6:14;7:6;2Cor.3:11;Gal.3:25).
- He is regenerated (Jn.13:10;1Cor.6:11;Titus 3:5). He is now:
a- Born again (Jn.3:7;1Pet.1:23).
b- A child of God (Gal.3:26).
c- A son of God (Jn.1:12;2Cor.6:18;1Jn.3:2).
d- A new creation (2Cor.5:17;Gal.6:15;Eph.2:10).
- He is adopted by God (Rom.8:15;8:23;Eph.1:5).
- He is acceptable to God (Eph.1:6;1Pet.2:5) and made:
a- Made righteous (Rom.3:22;1Cor.1:30;2Cor.5:21;Phil.3:9).
b- Sanctified (1Cor.1:30;6:11).
c- Perfected forever (Heb.10:14).
d- Qualified for inheritance (Col.1:12).
- He is justified from all things (Acts 13:38-39; Rom.3:24;5:1,9;8:30;1Cor.6:11; Titus 3:7).
- He is a citizen of heaven (Lk.10:20;Eph.2:13;Phil.3:20).
- He is forever delivered from the kingdom of satan (Col.1:13;2:15).
- He dwels in the kingdom of God (Col.1:13) right now as a present reality. Though in this world he is not of this world.
- He is on a secure foundation (Cor.3:11;10:4;Eph.2:20). He so therefore has a guaranteed future. That foundation is not of curses but of blessings.
- He is forever delivered from the power of the sin nature (Rom.3:29;Phil.3:3;Col.2:11). Sin has no hold on him.
- He is a priest unto God:
a- A holy priest (1Pet.2:5).
b- A royal priesthood (1Pet.2:9;Rev.1:6).
- He is eternaly secured in Christ (Rom.8:32,38-39;Gal.3:26;2Tim.2:13). His salvation is fully secured.
- He is a heir (Rom.8:17;Eph.1:14,18;Col.3:24;Heb.9:15;1Pet.1:4).
- He has a new position in Christ (Eph.2:6)
a- Partners with Christ in life.
b- Partners with Christ in service (1Cor.1:9).
i-Workers together with God (1Cor.3:9;2cor.6:1).
ii- Ministers of the New Testament (2cor.2:6).
iii- Ambassadors (2Cor.5:20).
iv- Living epistles (2cor.3:3).
v- Ministers of God (2cor.6:4).
- He has eternal life (Jn.3:15;10:28;20:31;1Jn.5:11-12). The very life of God, the life that makes God, God.
- He is a new creation (2Cor.5:17). Something that has never existed before.
- He is united with the father, the son and the Holy Ghost
a- In God (IThes.1:1) and God in you (Eph. 4:6).
b- In Christ (Jn.14:20) and Christ in you (Col.1:27).
i- A member in his body (1Cor.!2:13).
ii- A branch in the vine (Jn.15:5).
iii-A stone in the building (Eph.2:21-22;1Pet.2:5).
iv- A sheep in the flock (Jn.10:27-29).
v- His bride (Eph.5:25-27;Rev.19:6-8;21:19)
vi- A saint
c- In the Holy Spirit (Rom.8:9) and the Spirit in you.
- He is given spiritual gifts (1Cor.12:11;27-31;13:1-2) to manifest power and bless his generation.
- Sealed by the Spirit (2Cor.1:22;Eph.4:30). He can never be lost.
- He is indwelt by the Spirit (Jn.7:39;Rom.5:5;8:9; 1Cor.3:16; 6:19;Gal.4:6;1jn.3:24).
- He is complete in Christ (Col.2:10).
- He is blessed with all things (Eph.1:3). All things are ours in Christ Jesus.
This is the definition of who a Christian is. Take these truths, believe them, confess them and see your life reflect perfectly these realities. This is the absolute truth about who you as a Christian really is. You’re not trying to be these things, in christ, you already are, right now and forever.